I’m a huge fan of anything that can be made in one pot. This recipe certainly fits the bill. Easy prep and easy clean up which makes it a perfect weeknight meal. This recipe for Creamy Ham and Pea Pasta came from FoodFanatic.com and it’s super delicious and only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish. It would have taken less time, but I opted to buy a ham steak and cut it up instead of buying it already cubed. Mike had to work tonight so he wasn’t here to give me the thumbs up or thumbs down for this dish. I’m my own worst critic, but I thought it was delicious. Cooking the pasta in the chicken broth to soak up all the goodness really gave it a wonderful flavor and because the ham steak was salty on its own I didn’t have to add much additional salt. It’s nice and creamy but not too rich. The chicken broth and saltiness from the ham cut down the richness of the cream. Give it a try and let me know if you make it!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon of butter on medium high heat. Add the diced ham and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, onion flakes, italian seasoning and penne pasta. Mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium, place lid on pot and cook for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Turn off the burner and mix in the green peas, heavy cream and Parmesan.
- Mix well and season with salt (if needed) and pepper. Let sit with lid on for about 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.