Geekery, Life

Lefties Unite! | August 13th is National Left-Hander’s Day

This Sunday, August 13th, is National Left Hander’s Day! I’m a lefty and approximately 10% of the population are also. My Mom and Dad are both right-handed and the chances of my being left-handed were only about 2%. Thankfully my parents didn’t try to force me to become right-handed – they let me be and eventually I started grabbing and holding things with my left hand and they pretty much knew I would end up being a lefty.

I do most everything left-handed with the exception of using scissors (because left-handed scissors weren’t really a thing when I was a kid and I had to adapt to right-handed scissors) and using my iPhone. In fact, there’s a permanent indention in my right pinky finger from where the bottom of my phone rests. Aside from those two things, my right hand is basically useless. Just ask me to throw something with my right hand and you’ll see what I mean.

Let’s face it. The world was made for righties. From binders, to scissors, to computer mouse’s, we lefties have had to adapt and compromise. Even sitting down to dinner can sometimes be a hassle. Most of my friends and family are right-handed, so I have to make sure I’m sitting in a spot where I don’t “bump elbows” with the righty next to me. Oh, and have you ever tried finding a baseball glove for a left-handed person? Yeah, it’s probably really easy to just pop over to Amazon and order one, but back in my day it was almost impossible to find one out in the wild. And don’t even get me started on school desks. It’s like college classrooms wanted me to fail (I failed quite epically all on my own, but that’s a story for another day).

Being a lefty is tough. We’re more likely to have allergies and more likely to suffer from insomnia. Lefties were even once thought to be demons. We constantly hear things like, “Oh wow, I didn’t know you’re left-handed” and “How do you write like that?” I don’t write like a typical lefty though. My hand doesn’t make that awkward curve when I write and people are often shocked that I have such neat handwriting.

Top: How some lefties write. Bottom: How I write.

Left-handed people are also typically more creative. Maybe that’s because we live in a world that caters to right-handed people and we have to be more creative. I’ve heard differing opinions regarding the “lefties are right-brained” thing and some say it’s a myth, so who knows really. We also tend to have higher IQ’s, can be somewhat introverted (or in my case extremely introverted) and can be more affected by fear.

We lefties notice each other more than righties do and we kind of feel like kindred spirits. One of the first things I asked Mr. Miller when we first started talking was “are you a lefty or a righty?” Obviously him being right-handed wasn’t a deal breaker, but it’s always fun to know. I always pay attention to what hand people are using. It’s fascinating to me. Mr. Miller’s Dad and best friend Andrew are left-handed. Here are some other lefties you may have heard of:

• Leonardo DiVinci
  • Paul McCartney
  • Prince William (The Duke of Cambridge)
  • Hellen Keller
  • Mark Twain
  • Marilyn Monroe
  • Babe Ruth
  • John F. Kennedy, Jr.
  • Kurt Cobain
  • Barack Obama
  • Albert Einstein.

Notice all the creative types?

The lack of items on the market specifically for left handers is kind of sad. If you’re like me though you’ve probably come this far in life just fine without the need of special left-handed tools. But why should we have to? I did manage to find few things on Amazon that are pretty cool.

6 Piece Left Handed Baker’s Kitchen Set – This set comes with a 2 cup measuring cup, colorful oven mitt, and 4 left-handed bamboo kitchen tools.

Fiskars Left-hand 8″ Bent-left, Stainless Steel Scissors – the left-handed blades make cutting easy and effective for left-handed users.

Set of 3 Left Handed College Ruled Notebooks – the rings are on the opposite side, making it ideal for lefties!

The Left-Hander’s 2017 Day-to-Day Calendar – this calendar pays tribute to southpaws everywhere with anecdotes, trivia, facts, and legends about left-handedness and left-handers.

Left Handed Manual Can Opener – this opener is made to fit on the left side of the can, to be gripped in the right hand and turned with the stronger left hand.

Logroo Padfolio – Business Portfolio – specifically designed for lefties with the paper on the left!

Teach a Child How to Tie Shoes Using Their Left Hand Instruction Card Plus Two Purple and Pink Left Handed Scissors for Kids – This is a super cute teaching aid for teach a left-handed child to tie their shoes. Yes, even learning how to tie shoes is challenging for a lefty. As a kid, my left-handed cousin had to teach me to tie my shoes because both of my parents are right-handed and everything is backwards!

In a right-hand dominated world, Left Hander’s Day is the one day we can claim as our own. Take a moment this Sunday, show your pride, and celebrate being a lefty! Left-handers unite!

Are you left-handed? What challenges or obstacles have you had to overcome as a lefty?

(click on the image to pin)

Michelle Miller/That Mrs. Miller is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

19 Comments

• Reply Channon Gray

I completely agree that the world was made entirely for right handed people – us lefties will always struggle. I broke my index finger on my right hand in 2013, until then I only ever wrote with my left and did EVERYTHING else with my right. However, since spending almost a year in a plaster cast, I had no choice but to rely on my left hand for all tasks. I’m proud to be a creative lefty, even if everything does get smudged whenever I write!

August 13, 2017 at 8:45 am
    • Reply thatmrsmiller

The struggle is real! I think my biggest obstacle were desks made for right handed people. But I do end up sporting an ink stained pinky finger every now and then lol Thanks for commenting!

August 13, 2017 at 8:49 am
  • Reply Lisa Orchard

I’m a leftie as well! I love being a leftie!! We’re the only ones in our right mind! 🙂

August 13, 2017 at 11:06 am
  • Reply Chris

I taught myself to write left-handed because it looked different and cool … Maybe us ambidextrous types can have a day to celebrate too!

August 13, 2017 at 11:23 am
    • Reply thatmrsmiller

Yes, you should have one! Being ambidextrous is certainly unique!

August 13, 2017 at 1:28 pm
  • Reply Jennifer

My Mother, born on August 13th, was one of those left-handers forced to be a righty by a cruel school system. Her teacher tied a pencil into her right hand and forced her to use it that way. My sister was also a lefty, the only sibling who was, but she learned to write the same way you write. And that’s the way that I learned to write lefty when I broke my right elbow, but I could only do block lettering that way, I didn’t master cursive.

August 13, 2017 at 12:42 pm
    • Reply thatmrsmiller

I’ve heard about people being forced to be right handed. I guess there were so many stigmas attached to being left-handed and it’s sad.

August 13, 2017 at 1:29 pm
      • Reply Jennifer

My mother was born in 1919. It was certainly a different time back then. I guess the teacher was too lazy to teach a left-hander.

August 13, 2017 at 9:06 pm
        • Reply thatmrsmiller

It definitely takes patience to teach a left-hander. Everything is backwards! Lol

August 13, 2017 at 9:08 pm
  • Reply angelanoelauthor

My son is a two-percenter too! We marvel at how two righties could produce a leftie with no other lefties in the family. But, he’s most definitely left-handed and I love that about him. His stepdad (my new husband) is left handed, too. So they don’t share genes but they have this awesome trait in common. Lefties are amazing! Happy August 13th!

August 13, 2017 at 12:45 pm
    • Reply thatmrsmiller

Yes, being a lefty is awesome! I’ll never understand genetics and how it all works out who’s left and right, but it’s all so cool!

August 13, 2017 at 1:31 pm
  • Reply Gabe Burkhardt

Congrats on being a lefty!

August 13, 2017 at 1:50 pm
  • Reply Capt C."Turk" Cross

One of my biggest problems being a lefty is using power tools. Power tools are made for righties, and I have to be extra careful not to get hurt.

August 13, 2017 at 7:05 pm
    • Reply thatmrsmiller

I never thought about power tools catering to right-handed people. Interesting to know!

August 13, 2017 at 7:30 pm
  • Reply Sheila Cocco

My dad was a leftie, and in school they forced him to do things right-handed as well (1940s). At the time people thought being left-handed was a handicap, so they didn’t consider it being mean. My mom was a rightie, and she had a hard time teaching me to do things, until she figured out to just face me instead of sitting next to me. The only thing she made me learn to do right-handed was scissors, since as she put it “You can’t go around your whole life with left-handed scissors hanging around your neck.” I hold my pen normally (no smudge), but I still have lousy handwriting!

August 18, 2017 at 7:32 pm
    • Reply thatmrsmiller

It’s so sad that there were so many misconceptions about being left handed. I’ve used scissors with my right hand for so long now that I couldn’t even imagine trying to use left handed scissors lol Thanks for commenting!

August 18, 2017 at 9:03 pm
  • Reply Eva Dupuis

Im proud to be a lefty! I too had my left arm tied to the chair and forced to learn how to write with my right hand. I was told i was a sin as a lefty. When my father gave up, teachers just taped my paper to the desk which made me just sit sideways. Scissors of course were aweful, writing on the chalk board, forget it, still cant write on boards for work presentations, lol. Sports, uh no good there. Dont forget about cooking utensils and butter knifes! Lol. I love being different!

August 21, 2017 at 9:04 pm